Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Foodies Unite!

I don't know that I can fully claim the title of "foodie" yet, but, if I have my way, I am certainly on my way to doing so with "typical" food in the United States.  Argentina, of course, is a totally different story.  I basically have started at square one learning about the most common flavors, ingredients, and dishes and have yet to really learn any of the cooking methods unique to these dishes.  I suppose that might also serve as my disclaimer for this post: As I do not know much about how typical dishes are cooked, this post may be full of "This dish is amazing but I can't really put my finger on the gastronomic reasons why." (*also a disclaimer that all of the following images were ripped from Google image searches. While I have eaten all of these things since arriving in Argentina, none of the food pictures are my own.)

1. Empanadas
The word "empanada" comes from the Spanish verb "empanar," which means to envelope in bread.  I would most closely compare the bread that composes the empanada's outer layer to the consistency of baked crescent rolls in the US, albeit a bit thicker to hold the inner contents. Empanadas are generally filled with beef, chicken, ham and cheese, or vegetables, but fillings for this classic dish vary greatly.  I remember that (while interning in Indianapolis) my students, whose families were from Mexico and El Salvador, told me about fruit and pumpkin empanadas being typical for their families to eat; it takes on a truly regional flair to whichever filling might be available.  Here in Argentina, the beef or chicken baked inside the dough equates to a pocket of deliciousness on your plate :)

2. Asado
Asado, Argentine BBQ of many different cuts of meat, is probably the most wonderful thing to grace my plate yet . While (to my knowledge thus far) the meat is only seasoned with salt, its amazing flavors come primarily from the smokiness of the wood in the open air grill (parrilla) over which it is cooked and the long, long cooking time allotted to reach perfection. While my favorite cuts of asado include the flank steak and chorizo (a kind of sausage), I usually pass on morcilla (blood sausage) as I'm not quite partial to its unique taste and texture...

3. Dulce de Leche
Dulce de leche (literally "candy or sweet from milk") is a milk-based spread found everywhere. In jars/tubs alone, in/on candies and cookies, and in the flavors of other things like yogurt, I can find this marker of all things divine for any moment that my sweet tooth might develop a craving. It is usually not eaten alone, although I am sure there are closet dulce de leche consumers much like a few "peanut butter-aholics" I know in the United States.  Not much more needs to be said for this caramel-like treat-- truly, there are few descriptions worthy of the flavor experience when you savor dulce de leche for the first time (while this might sound super cliche, it is true).

4. Pizza
 Yep, pizza :-D Although, let me caution you before assumptions are made that pizza in Argentina is the same as that crafted in the US. The pizza shown here on the right is pretty typical of a house specialty pizza: mozzarella cheese, ham, red peppers, (banana peppers on my favorite house specialty pizza that we get from a place nearby) and olives (which are typically left whole and unpitted on the pie's top).  My other favorite pizza thus far is a classic napolitana: mozzarella cheese, tomato slices, and olives (again, left whole on top which actually isn't a bad thing for someone like me who doesn't especially love olives).

5. Bread- of ALL kinds
I may have saved the best/most common/most important thing for last. Bread is everywhere.  A typical breakfast is a medialuna (croissant usually with a slightly glazed top; see left) or tostadas (think bruschetta style small pieces of bread) with dulce de leche or fruit preserves/marmelade to spread on top and coffee or tea.  Lunch and dinner too usually include a bowl of rolls or baguettes that grace the table.  These are, of course, just two examples among many of bread found amidst my daily activities. One of my favorites thus far is the large packages of wheat crackers that seem to be very common at the market; they make the perfect snack with some marmelade or cheese on top.  I think I hold up my eating experiences with Argentina's bread with such esteem because it is so fresh, and, really, I think this can also be said for so many of the other things that I have also eaten.  Fewer processed and more locally produced ingredients basically equate to more flavorful eating experiences, :) and, although I know little about Argentina's food industries, I would imagine a more sustainable food culture.  I'm sure there will be more to come in the way of food in the coming months; Argentina truly prides itself on its culture related to food and wine and I can't wait to experience more.  Hopefully my future adventures might also include me becoming more of a foodie here and learning a thing or two about cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment