Sunday, July 3, 2011

Ladies and Gentlemen, please fasten your seat belts, tighten the strap and locate the nearest emergency exit

Yes, my title is obnoxiously long today, and yes, this entry will be comparatively short compared to many others that I have already written. I write from the Liberty Hotel in Buenos Aires because for the second day in a row my flight has been cancelled due to clouds of ash that have drifted over the city all the way from the Chilean volcano Puyehue. These ash clouds apparently pose a danger as particles that could enter the plane's machinery and cause engine malfunction/failure. So, long story short is: I had a great week in Montevideo, Uruguay for my midterm Fulbright seminar, enjoyed a residential tour of U.S. ambassador Vilma Martínez's home in our return to Buenos Aires as well as a short conversation with her, met up for the evening with a friend from Denison, and am still here in the city, hopefully headed back to my wonderful home tomorrow...

Things I have learned so far include (i.e. a brief preview on the highlights of what has happened in my life in the last week)...what the typical Argentine thinks is the appropriate way to solve a problem in an airport that is closing down, how to make gnocchi, what sitting in "paradise" is like and that karaoke bars are not only popular in the United States.

No comments:

Post a Comment