Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Reflections from a visitor

If you have been following along with my Argentine adventures, you might remember that my friend Cassie Feesler visited me several weeks ago. I asked Cassie if she would like to write a short reflection on her experiences from her visit here. She recently sent me the following words, and, in her defense, was delayed in doing so as she went on another short trip with friends to Canada just after returning to the United States. Here are Cassie's thoughts on her visit to Argentina:


Hola!
I had the amazing opportunity of visiting my dear friend Teresa and staying in Argentina for two wonderful weeks.  Seeing as how I speak no Spanish I was very lucky to be staying with a friend who speaks fluently.  It was a bit of an adjustment for me but between translators and my small Spanish vocabulary I was able to get by.  People often asked me how I handled myself when people spoke Spanish around me.  To tell you the truth, I was completely clueless at times.  Instead of letting this frustrate me I used it to fuel my desire to learn Spanish.  I recently learned that in August I will be student teaching in Mexico City at the Thomas Jefferson Institute so I guess now would be a good time to learn.

Argentina was absolutely beautiful!  The longer I was there the longer I wanted to stay.  I have a very strong desire to go back and hope to do so soon.  The memories I created while I was there are priceless.  Being exposed to another culture is a magnificent experience.  I love seeing how others live their lives and the values others hold dear.  Being a type “A “personality it was definitely good for me to be submerged in a place that is so laid back and easy-going.  I have not been that relaxed in a very long time and I hope some of that mentality stays with me.

When I think of Argentina I think most not of the kind-hearted people or the breath-taking sights, but of time.   Time is not something that people worry about in Argentina.  In America everything is a race; if it’s not fast it’s not good.  In the U.S. if you are 15 minutes early you are on time.  In Argentina if you are 15 minutes LATE you’re on time.  I have always been a fan of the quote “take time to stop and smell the roses.”  In Argentina you get the chance to do just that. 

Throughout my travels I was able to meet some remarkable people.  Alejandro was a kind-hearted man I met on my flight to Buenos Aires who invited me to stay with his family during my layover.  I was very surprised how open and accepting people were.  I can’t imagine taking in a random stranger and welcoming them into my home as easily as he did.  

I was very lucky to meet the people I did and have to say that I could easily see myself living in Argentina some day.  I believe every experience is a learning experience and through my visit to Argentina I learned how to be more open and flexible.  I want to thank everyone I met along the way for showing me such kindness and being patient with me through my language barrier.  I had many good times in Argentina and hope to create many more on my next trip there! Kisses!

~Cassie Feesler



No comments:

Post a Comment