Tuesday, May 3, 2011

America on the World Stage

To be honest, I didn't turn on my computer to glance at news headlines before heading to work Monday morning so it was from a professor at my teaching institute that I heard first about Osama bin Laden's death. I didn't believe her at first, but as I both heard from other people and, eventually, started reading the endless plethora of news stories myself, I distinctly realized we were talking about the real deal, the United States' newest and biggest mark on the world stage of politics, war & peace, and future international relations. Likewise, the celebrations that have occurred in United States have struck me as startling and certainly even unsettling. Yes, obviously bin Laden has wrought conditions of fear and insecurity in many regions of the world but has the U.S. not done the same as it has gone to occupy these same regions to ensure "peace and security?" Call me crazy, but if a foreign army marched on to my street to keep me "safe" I would question every day: the motives of their occupation, if they could ever truly be invested in ensuring freedoms in a place that they don't call home, and maybe even their ability to defend me on a territory where they likely will face an opposing force that is more native to the region and, therefore, much more familiar with the terrain and the habits of its people. Don't get me wrong, I have a great respect for the sacrifice that every individual of our armed forces gives often without due thanks. I also have great respect and empathy for each serviceman or woman's family and friends who would much rather have him/her at home rather than fighting on another continent.

Also, after watching President Obama's address I was unsurprisingly sickened by his (or any other political leader hypothetically for that matter) conclusion of 'God bless you. And God bless America." reference (at the very end of his speech). My issue is not that President Obama would feel this way; it is a comfort and a hope to me that Obama would [be earnestly attempting to] live by principles of Christianity, including beliefs in the worth of social justice, grace and compassion for others. I am not ashamed to tell any one reading this blog that I am a Christian. However, I am also not ashamed to say that I value with utmost respect the freedom to practice whatever religion I choose in the United States. While my religious practices reflect a Christian faith, I respect that others might choose to practice the tenants of Judaism, Islam, Buddism or any other religion that does not infringe on the rights and freedoms of other U.S. citizens. Even Obama mentioned early on in his speech that we (Americans) came together on 9/11 to support one another; however, he doesn't seem to bat an eye later as he alienates anyone who doesn't believe in God in his conclusion. Yes, Mr. President, based on your commentary of these recent events I'm feeling superbly unified with my fellow Americans and others around the world in a spirit of humanity, especially in light of our religious diversity (*please note the sarcasm dripping from this sentence much like the grease from one of the many pizzas I've eaten here).

I'd like to make clear that this opinion applies not only to my observations at the end of Obama's address but to any U.S. political figure's utilization of this religiously affiliated phrase. Again, while I might be glad that they share my religious beliefs, I do not celebrate the exertion of any politician's religious beliefs de facto on the political landscape. Instead, I would much rather celebrate the cultural conditions that might be facilitated as a result of a Christian politician's commitment to his/her religious values. Primarily, these values would include giving a voice to the marginalized, loving/providing for one's neighbor, cultivating communities where inequalities between different socioeconomic/racial/ethic/religious groups are eliminated, and empowering the people to have pride in their community, state or country to an extent where they would actively seek the changes that make all of the above conditions a reality. I realize much of what I have said above sounds very idealistic, but, until we (as in, we=the world population in a unified spirit of humanity) no longer have political leaders claiming that their terrorist actions bring glory to Allah or stating "God bless America" after the execution of a highly strategic (and likely, intentionally fatal) military attack, religious misunderstandings will continue to be at the forefront of our interactions with others. At the least, these misunderstandings will permeate the media images with which we are bombarded and possibly the consciousness of those who live where positive exposure to people of a diverse background is severely limited or nonexistent.

Such mixed feelings about being a cultural representative of the United Stages right now, especially as it takes center stage in international relations...you can throw your tomatoes at me now or sound off with a comment, your choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment