Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Rites & Rituals

Every cultures has its own set of rites and rituals. Those things that we treasure and participate in to feel more closely connected to a particular group or institution. Argentina is certainly no different and I'd like to dedicate today's post to describing a few of the rituals that have I have either observed or already integrated into my normal flow of life here...

Siesta. Although not quite as important now, in autumn, and in the coming season of winter, siesta allows residents of Resistencia to escape the extreme heat of summer. Around 12:30-1:00 pm, the vast majority of businesses close for siesta in Resistencia. Families eat lunch together in their homes (lunch being the primary meal of the day, much like dinner is understood in the US) and afterwards, people may sleep or simply relax and do other things in the home until approximately 4:30 pm when the city reawakens to its bustling life. Siesta is a ritual that marks midday for the vast majority of places in Argentina, save Buenos Aires and a handful of the country's other largest cities [that operate on a more 9-5 schedule]. Also, it's occasionally a lifesaver when I'm drained from an intense morning of classes and interaction at the institute.

Sunday and Family. Sunday is well-known as a day where people spend time with their families. Whether this is a family lunch or dinner, a mid-afternoon asado or meal together out at a restaurant, many extended families gather each week to spend time with one another. I am so thankful that this happens every Sunday with my referente's family as it is not uncommon that I am nearly rolling on my side with laughter at the conversation happening around the dinner table. To be noted, however, is that this tradition is actively evolving in Argentina. I have had several students tell me that they no longer get together with their extended family each week and that they are conscious of this cultural change of a distancing and (lesser) time investment among their families.

Graduation. Finally, in honor of many of my closest friends who will be graduating from Denison University this coming Sunday, a word on what happens when students finish their university studies here in Argentina. Yes, graduates have a final ceremony where they are honored with their peers on their accomplishments in the program. However, each student is also awaited by friends immediately outside their final exam  by friends bearing gifts of water, eggs and flour (Note: Nearly all Argentine university exams are administered with the single student answering in-person before a panel of two or three professors. Still not sure what I think about this evaluation process). These messy ingredients are poured all over the new graduate and men often shave off all their hair in celebration of their accomplishments. I have seen this ritual in action and it is surely as crazy as it sounds. A paparazzi-like photoshoot often follows in which the ritual's "givers" obviously try and avoid the debris that they have newly bestowed on their friends. Hilarious.

To my dear friends at Denison, be glad that I am not there this week to celebrate the completion of your four years on the hill. I would definitely find it necessary to try and start this messy tradition in the United States, beginning with each one of you. :-)

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for mentioning the graduation rituals...that struck me by surprise when I first saw it!

    I also saw them throw one of the graduates in the back of a truck and drive her all around the square.

    ¡Viva Argentina!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cookie, if I take the position that rituals are: repeated events in which we participate that give our lives shared meanings, I would actually consider siestas a ritual here in Resistencia.

    The matter of classifying siesta as ritual aside, I think I would also consider this part of Resistencia's culture a rite (as this post title is "Rites & Rituals"). I would advocate for this classification because as I, a foreigner to the culture, accept and embrace the time-honored events of siesta (shared lunch, maybe a short period of sleep, time spent relaxing in the home), I also gain a certain "acceptance" from others in this culture.
    I await any further thoughts you might have on these comments. Thanks for your comment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I understand. No more questions, sir :) Thanks for answering my comment.

    ReplyDelete