Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Feliz Cumpleaños a Mi!

My students laugh, and laugh hard, when I tell them that Argentines don't make plans for anything ... except birthdays. They laugh because, without even realizing it most of the time, they know this is true. Of course, there are plans made for major holidays like Christmas, Easter and 25 de mayo. However, there doesn't seem to be a great explanation that I've encountered yet for this difference in cultural tendencies regarding advance preparations. My best observations would simply point me toward the fact that family and friends find great value in gathering to celebrate the anniversary of one's birth. That said, despite the fact that I think about my schedule and plan a week (or more) in advance for many things in the United States [and often here too], I made hardly any concrete plans for my birthday. Maybe this will come as a surprise to my students and maybe not (guaranteed they will all laugh again at this :-P). Thankfully, this approach of spontaneity worked in my favor and I enjoyed a fabulous weekend with some beautiful people, celebrating the beginning of my 23rd year of life....

My birthday fell on Sunday this year (the 29th) but my celebrations began on Friday when I went to pick up my friend, Cassie Feesler, from Resistencia's airport. While she speaks little to no Spanish, Cassie decided to visit me as part of her life's bucket list to make a visit to each continent. Already having conquered Africa by traveling to Uganda two years ago, South America was the next landmass on her list. She jumped right into life with me here in Resistencia, going to my basketball practice and making pizza at my house for dinner. Most notably though, we headed out to dance the night away with a couple of my friends at a boliche. A great mix of music kept us going til the wee hours of the morning, typical Argentine style.

Saturday afternoon we headed to Corrientes. Primarily, I want Cassie to have as broad an experience as possible in the two short weeks that she will be here visiting. Thus, visiting a nearby city only made sense. Second, I wanted to spend some time with my dear, fellow ETA Hannah in Corrientes to celebrate my birthday. Or vice versa on the reasons. It's debatable; you pick. ;-) Hannah surprised me with some alfajores and even had "2" and "3" candles to stick in our delicious treats. She proudly lit them so I could make a wish for the next year and blow the flame out (we also humorously repeated this tradition, under Hannah's insistence, at midnight for me to officially welcome in my birthday). 

Hannah lighting the candles on our alfajores
We spent a few hours on the costanera, just chatting and enjoying life. As night arrived, I was amazed by likely the most beautiful sunset I have experienced since arriving here....



Dinner and drinks were enjoyed at one of Hannah's new favorite local spots. This restaurant was rather interesting as all of its memorabilia featured American actors and singers. We heard some great (and some not as great) tunes from the 80's onward and reminisced about some of our favorite childhood favorite bands and singers as there were countless artist photos and album covers on our table (see photo below). Cassie enjoyed her first lomito (steak sandwich with lettuce, tomato, mayonnaise, ham and a fried egg). I had a chicken crepe that was absolutely divine....


Honestly, after living it up on Friday, I was beat and barely made it to midnight on Saturday. Nonetheless, we relit the number candles and I did a little dance to ring in my birthday as the clock marked the new day. Sunday morning soon arrived and, with it too came my second basketball game in Corrientes. Our game was a bit less exciting than last week as we pretty easily won against the opposing team. Nevertheless, I couldn't have asked for a much better birthday with a chance to be with friends, in brand new uniforms, playing a game I love...


After returning to Resistencia and cleaning up, we were off again to have mate with one of my friends Roxanna. I went for the first time with her and Cassie to Paseo de los Artesanos, a small "street fair" of artisan crafts that happens each Sunday evening in Resistencia. We listened to some folklore music, drank mate, and enjoyed the company of other friends from church who met up with us there in the park. The grand finale of my birthday was family dinner. We had pizza but the highlight of my evening was cooking pancakes for everyone. Weeks ago when one of the guys that I live with helped me go to buy my cell phone, we made an agreement that I would make pancakes for him. Y'know, a cultural exchange: the Fulbright way. :) I finally made good on my end of the deal, cooking regular, banana and chocolate pancakes for Chabela's family with some help in the kitchen from Hannah and a couple others who wanted to learn. While we don't have maple syrup here in Argentina, modified toppings of strawberry marmalade, dulce de leche or honey all seemed to be well appreciated.
Everyone around the table for dinner.

My referente, Chabela, and I

After all this activity throughout the weekend, I was, not surprisingly, mildly exhausted. However, I don't think I could have asked for a better birthday in this city that I am coming to know and love. Throughout the day I received hoards of gracious texts from new friends. Plus, rather than being spanked 23 times, I had my ear tugged on for good luck in my next year while someone sang Feliz Cumpleaños to me. Few plans, lots of friends and adopted family, excellent food, jubilant dancing and a new year ahead of me, full of possibilities. 

"One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching."
-Unknown Source (at least as far as I could find...)

No comments:

Post a Comment